The cheerleader and high school junior had just finished enjoying a barbecue at home with her family Feb. 19, when she and a friend went upstairs to hang out.
“We discovered them an hour to two hours after they had taken these pills. My daughter was already dead,” Vaughn said Monday. Her friend was able to be revived. The girls had taken what they believed was Percocet but actually contained fentanyl, the highly potent and addictive synthetic opiate that can be deadly with a dose as small as the tip of a pencil.