(Austin American-Statesman) — Tucker Roe, 19, had graduated from Leander High School, was working in his father’s construction business and planned to compete in his first triathlon. On Sept. 23, 2021, he bought what he thought was a Percocet pill on Instagram, said his mother, Stefanie Turner.
It turned out the illegal opioid pill was laced with a deadly amount of fentanyl. “He was struggling with sleeping and stress, and he purchased a pill to help him sleep, and that pill took his life,” Turner said.
Turner wants teenagers to be educated about the dangers of fentanyl, so she turned to state Rep. Terry Wilson, R-Georgetown, for help. Wilson responded by introducing a bill in the Legislature on March 7 that would require 10 hours of education annually about the dangers of fentanyl and drug poisoning for students in the sixth grade through high school in Texas public schools.